Drunk drivers cause some of the most devastating crashes on South Carolina roads. Because their judgment is impaired by alcohol, they may be driving at extremely high rates of speed, weaving in and out of traffic, ignoring traffic signals and signs, and failing to yield to other cars and obstacles. These kinds of actions can cause catastrophic collisions. When you or a loved one is the innocent victim in a drunk driving crash, you need skilled legal representation to get you the compensation you deserve from the drunk driver’s insurance policy and, when necessary, their personal assets. You need the team at Pracht Injury Lawyers.
What the Drunk Driver Owes You
South Carolina imposes serious penalties for drunk driving convictions. Impaired drivers can lose their driving privileges, be fined thousands of dollars, and even go to jail. However, none of that helps you if the drunk driver caused a crash that injured you or killed a loved one. When you work with a personal injury and wrongful death attorney, we will fight to get you all of the compensation you deserve, including:
- Medical expenses. From emergency services at the scene of the crash to life-saving surgeries and long-term rehabilitation, your medical costs could be astronomical following a serious crash. The drunk driver should be held responsible for all of your related medical expenses—no matter how many years it takes to recover.
- Lost wages. If you are unable to work because of your injuries, you could miss out on paychecks or be forced to use your precious sick and vacation time to recover. Your settlement from the drunk driver should include the wages you lost because of the crash and should also reimburse you for any paid time off you took.
- Pain and suffering damages. Physical pain and emotional suffering are compensable following a catastrophic crash. While there is no exact price tag for these losses, an experienced personal injury attorney can place a reasonable value on your suffering.
- Wrongful death damages. If you lost a family member in a drunk driving crash, you might be able to sue the driver for wrongful death damages. This money can pay the deceased loved one’s medical bills, funeral expenses, and the pain and suffering they experienced before they died, as well as the losses you have suffered as their survivor.
- Punitive damages. If the drunk driver’s actions were egregious—for example, their blood alcohol content was extremely high, they have multiple previous DUI convictions, or someone was killed in the crash—your lawyer can ask the criminal court judge to impose punitive damages. In some cases, these damages can exceed $2 million.
While there is no doubt that drunk drivers should suffer criminal penalties for their actions, it is not the criminal court’s job to take care of the victim. That’s our job. Contact us as soon as possible after the crash to schedule a free consultation to find out what we can do for you.
South Carolina Dram Shop Law
In addition to holding the drunk driver liable, you might also have a claim against a bar or restaurant that served the driver alcohol and failed to prevent them from driving a car. Known as the dram shop law, this statute holds establishments liable for damages when they serve alcohol to a patron under the age of 21, or they serve alcohol to a visibly intoxicated customer. Proving liability requires obtaining evidence that restaurant employees knew or should have known that the patron should not have been served but served them anyway. These are not easy claims to make, but if we believe a bar or restaurant broke the law, we will fight to hold them accountable for your losses.
Our Team Fights for Victims of Drunk Drivers
With unmatched experience in personal injury law and a culture that focuses on providing responsive, compassionate service to our clients, Pracht Injury Lawyers is here for you. Our mission is to use our hearts and our heads to help our clients whose lives have been forever changed by a drunk driver. Reach out to our team as soon as you can. We will answer all of your questions and be candid about your options. You have suffered in uncertainty long enough. Get the answers you need now.